Best viewed at 1024 x 768 or higher
The stuff the cookbook writers think you already know.
Cooking Methods (Moist Heat - Anything water or liquid based)
- Blanching Starting in cold water, bring food to a boil, opening pores to remove
impurities and strong flavors. Then cool rapidly.
- Starting in hot water, bring food to a boil, closing pores to retain nutrients
and odors. then Cool rapidly.
- Poaching - Cook food in small amount of liquid without cover
- Cook food in a water bath without stirring
- Cook food in a double boiler without stirring
- Cook food immersed in liquid without a cover
- Boiling - To cook food submerged in boiling water.
- Steaming - To cook food on a grate over steam with a cover
- Braising (Large pieces) - Cook food slowly at moderate temperatures with small
amounts of liquid. Use a cover, done in oven. (minimum one third cover of liquid;
White sauce can not be braised.)
- Stewing - As braising but with moderate amounts of liquid and smaller pieces of
- Poeler - To cook food with a little butter, and its own juices, covered, at low
heat. Remove cover, de glace, reduce liquid.
- Glacing - Start with butter and cook food in very small amounts of liquid, by
de glacing to create a thick glaze.
Cooking Methods (Dry Heat)
- Blanching - In Hot Oil Used to precook food (130C \ 265F min)
- Deep Fat Frying (Hot oil) - Used to cook and brown food (160-180C \ 320-360F)
- Sauteing - Small amount of Fat in frying pan
- Pan Frying - Same as Saute but with moderate amount of fat
- Broiling - Cooking food on a rack or grill with a heat source from below or above
- Grilling or BBQ - Cooking food on a rack or grill with a heat source from below.
- Gratinating - To cook and\or brown food with heat from above
- Baking - To cook on an a rack, tray or mould in an oven until brown and done
- Roasting - To cook and brown food in small amounts of fat in a roasting pan in
an oven. Basting required.
- Roasting on a spit - To cook food on a roasting spit at a low even heat from top,
bottom, back or combination there of.
All images used in this web site are © copyright Media Cooks and its licensors.